Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 288: Why?

After 288 days in Japan (about 9.5 months), I'm finally starting to feel like I could really live in Japan for a longer period of time.  Of course, there are still many ups and downs that I encounter living here, but it's something that I have been thinking more and more about lately.  However, as much as I have adjusted to living in Japanese there are still a couple things that I have not become adjusted to quite yet...nor do I think I can adjust to soon.



In recent weeks, I've had some frustrating encounters with the general bureaucratic attitude in which many Japanese people and businesses hold.  I have found that in general, Japanese people are very passive and rule-abiding.  As wonderful as these characteristics may sound, it also creates a load of frustration for someone who was not raised or used to such a culture.  I would say that (again, in general) Japanese people conform to and follow any rules or guidelines given to them -- without question.  Of course rules and guidelines are created to keep order among the masses but it also creates inflexibility and a lack of independence as well as creativity.  Japanese society has been raised for years and years to not question rules and authority and to simply listen and follow them.

I feel that this lack of ability to question common things in their livelihood is one of the main reasons why there are many social issues within Japanese society.  I have read in the past few months various news articles related to Japanese social issues, whether it is about female discrimination in the work environment, elder care, or the overall educational system of Japan.  I have noticed in my personal experience that when I asked the question "Why?" to some of my Japanese friends, acquaintances, even workers at a restaurant or company, they often times seem to be stopped in their tracks and either cannot think of an answer or it takes them a long time to finally think of one.  To me, it seems pretty evident that most of these individuals have never really been taught to ask the question "Why?" and to seek for further, deeper (and sometimes more reasonable) answers.

If people are not taught how to ask "Why?", I think that they lose the important ability to think and analyze critically, creatively, and constructively.  I don't exactly know what the Japanese educational system is like from kindergarten through the end of university, but I know from my personal experience that the U.S. prioritizes on critical thinking and analysis ability.  I went through an educational system where I was taught to ask "Why?", among other questions, in order to gain a different perspective and think in new ways.  I can't say if there is a correct or incorrect educational system, but I believe that those who learn to ask questions are better critical thinkers and tend to have more creativity and analytical ability.  I have noticed that when Japanese people DO think critically, it is often times a negative criticism of things that are NOT Japanese.  I feel that in general, Japanese people do not look at their own country or culture through a critical lens, something I wish could be changed in the near future.

I only wish that more and more Japanese people, educators, and employers saw the importance of the ability to question and think outside of the overwhelming Japanese "zen".  Of course it seemingly goes against many things that are stereotyped and classified as "Japanese" but maybe this type of change is for the better.  If more and more people learned to think more critically of their own surroundings, maybe they can more easily see the various social issues lurking beneath the foggy facade of this polite, rule-abiding society.  Once these issues are able to surface not only to the general public but also surface within the minds of Japanese people, they can finally be more vocalized and actual, significant changes can be made in order to make Japan a better place.

I love Japan and only wish for Japan to become an even better country, which is the reason why I criticize Japan for its own lack of self-criticism.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! I'll share experiences, culture shock, photos, videos, and more and hope that you can get a good taste of what I am experiencing.